Malcolm Segal focuses his practice on defending businesses and individuals in white collar criminal investigations and in complex civil litigation.
For over thirty years, his clients have included international, regional and local companies, as well as professionals in medicine, the law, real estate, and agribusiness. He regularly represents individuals and corporations under investigation and in legal disputes as the result of their interactions with government agencies and often represents public and elected officials, legislative committees and government agencies. For many years he has represented individuals, including public employees, in need of an attorney as the result of having been subpoenaed for testimony by federal and state legislative committees.
Malcolm Segal, born and raised in New York City, began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office in New York City. He was later appointed Special Attorney-in-Charge of a United States Department of Justice, Federal Grand Jury Strike Force in Central Texas. After several years of service in Texas and Los Angeles, he joined the United States Attorney’s Office in San Francisco, as an Assistant United States Attorney. He was then appointed and served as First Assistant United States Attorney, and as the Chief of the Criminal Division, for the Eastern District of California, with offices in Sacramento and Fresno. During his government service he received numerous awards for his work as a federal and state prosecutor.
After leaving the government, Malcolm Segal served as managing partner of a litigation firm and, for a time, was the Sacramento based managing partner and member of the Board of Directors of a national law firm largely devoted to government affairs and litigation. He presently serves as President of his law firm, Segal & Associates, PC.
Malcolm has been listed for over twenty years in the national publication Best Lawyers in America; as a Northern California Super Lawyer by San Francisco Magazine; and been listed as one of Sacramento Best Lawyers by Sacramento Magazine. He has been named by Sacramento Business Journal as among the Best of the Bar and for the past two years been recognized as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Northern California by San Francisco Magazine.
Among his community activities, he has served on the Advisory Board of Sacramento Child Advocates; as Board President of Planned Parenthood of Northern California; on the Board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Association of Sacramento; as well as on various other committees of organizations acting in the public interest.
For a recent article featuring Malcolm Segal and the Firm, please follow this link: Sacramento Business Journal
- Malcolm Segal has represented businesses in highly regulated industries, including nationally prominent wineries, attorneys, securities dealers, firearms wholesalers and distributors, members of the tobacco industry, and other licensees, in federal, state and local inquiries, investigations and litigation.
- Served as litigation attorney to numerous health care providers in the defense of federal and state medical and business fraud investigations, including leading a team of attorneys in a nationally followed health care fraud investigation which included state and federal investigations, hundreds of medical malpractice claims, multiple civil qui tam actions, administrative debarment matters, insurance coverage issues and other parallel litigation.
- Represented numerous individuals and businesses in federal and state tax fraud investigations and prosecutions.
- Represented international and national agricultural, ranching, manufacturing, construction and other companies in criminal and administrative inquiries regarding claimed environmental and endangered species violations, and in the defense of other criminal prosecutions and civil litigation arising from business activities.
- Defended corporations, officers, employees and professionals in federal and state litigation, including securities fraud and business fraud.
- Represented multi-national and regional corporations in defense of alleged customs fraud, transfers of regulated products and administrative penalty investigations.
- Represented elected and appointed officials in federal, legislative and administrative investigations and prosecutions involving alleged misconduct in office.
- Represented individuals and property development and management companies in complex real estate litigation.
- Served as special counsel to the California legislative committee investigating the conduct of public officials and implementation of federal statutes and represented individuals called before Congressional and state legislative committees.
- Defended regional and local companies, professionals and other individuals in employment, hostile work environment and harassment related lawsuits.
St. John’s University, J.D.; Deans List; Associate Editor, St. John’s University Law Review; City College of the City University of New York, B.A.
Assistant District Attorney, New York County; United States Department of Justice, Austin Texas; Assistant United States Attorney, San Francisco, California, Northern District; First Assistant United States Attorney, Sacramento, California, Eastern District; Chief Criminal Division United States Attorneys, Eastern District; Private Practice, Sacramento, California.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Federal Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, California Attorney for Criminal Justice, Sacramento County Bar Association, Pro-Tem Civil Settlement Judge and Member of Arbitration Panel, Sacramento County Superior Court.
Best Lawyers in America, 1993-current; San Francisco Magazine, Northern California Super Lawyers 2005-current; Best Lawyers, Sacramento Magazine 2006-current; Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar 2013-current; Northern California Super Lawyers, Top 100 Attorneys in Northern California 2014-current.
AV rated Martindale-Hubble.
New York State; California.
United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals, Second, Fifth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits; United State District Court Eastern, Northern and Central District of California; Southern District of New York.